Transform simple chicken breasts into a delicious, quick and healthy dinner with these Air Fryer Chicken Burgers. Crispy, breadcrumb coated chicken, spicy mayo, and an easy veggie slaw bring amazing flavor to the dinner table in just 35 minutes.
We love chicken in my house. It’s healthy and can be prepared in so many different ways, from Chinese pineapple stir fries and spinach and feta stuffed breasts, to these breaded air fryer chicken burgers.
It’s a recipe I’m really happy to share because they’re a great way to use winter veggies in a crisp and fresh way. They’re also really perfect for those busy nights when you need to get a yummy dinner on the table in just a little over 30 minutes.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- 35 minute recipe – From prepping the chicken to making the slaw and sauce, you’ll be ready to serve in just about half an hour.
- Healthier – The air fryer delivers crispy chicken patties without the oil of deep frying.
- Delicious for winter – Raw, crisp cabbage and carrots make a great seasonal burger topping.
The ingredients to make the patties, slaw, and dressing should be easy to find at any grocery store, if you don’t already have them right at home.
- Chicken Breasts – You want boneless, skinless chicken breasts or cutlets. Thighs can also work.
- Flour – All purpose or wheat flour will both work.
- Seasonings – A combination of salt, pepper, and garlic and onion powder season the flour, the sriracha mayo, and the coleslaw.
- Panko breadcrumbs – These are a crunchier Japanese style crumb that I recommend, but regular, unseasoned bread crumbs can also be used.
- Eggs – The whites of 2 eggs act as a binding agent for the breadcrumbs.
- Cooking spray – I use an olive oil spray for the chicken cutlets, but you can also lightly brush on oil instead.
- Mayonnaise – You need this for both the sriracha spread and the coleslaw dressing. Use up to half plain Greek yogurt if desired for either.
- Garlic – I’d recommend using fresh garlic for the best flavor.
- Lemon juice – This is for the sriracha mayo, but you could use the same vinegar used in the coleslaw as well.
- Coleslaw mix – I prefer a blend of purple and green cabbage with carrots. You can absolutely shred it yourself, or pick up a pre-mixed bag to make prep very easy.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – If needed, the best substitutes are white wine or red wine vinegar.
- Burger Buns – As written this recipe makes enough for 4 burgers, you can use your favorite buns.
You’ll need your air fryer and a few mixing bowls to make this easy recipe. Start by butterflying the chicken in half so you end up with 4 thin cutlets.
If necessary, trim them up so they’ll fit on the buns. Any scraps can be breaded and cooked in the same way you’ll make the air fryer chicken burgers to create tasty bite-sized nuggets instead.
Season the flour with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Then beat the two egg whites in a separate bowl until they’re light and fluffy. Pour the breadcrumbs into a final bowl.
Dip the chicken in the flour, then the egg whites, then the breadcrumbs and press gently to ensure an even coating. Shake off excess and spray each breaded cutlet with olive oil.
Place them in your air fryer for 12-15 minutes at 360°F (180°C). The exact cooking time can vary based on the size of your cutlets so you may need more or less. While they cook, lightly toast the buns.
Next is the sriracha mayo. It’s a recipe I adapted from Chili Pepper Madness that’s easy to make by mixing the mayonnaise, sriracha, lemon juice, finely minced garlic, and salt in a bowl.
Toss the coleslaw mix with the rest of the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
Finally, assemble by spreading the mayo on the bottom buns. Top with a chicken patty and a scoop of coleslaw before adding the top bun.
Enjoy them right away with a delicious winter side like pickled chayote salad, roasted romanesco, or a bowl of creamy celery root soup. Any leftovers are best stored separately and will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
These juicy air fryer chicken burgers topped with the vibrant, crunchy coleslaw are a delicious and different way to enjoy winter flavors for dinner or lunch. Don’t forget to check out all the other ways chicken can help make winter a delicious time of year.
- Chicken Cauliflower casserole
- Chicken Florentine Soup
- Sheet Pan Chicken, Potato, and Green Bean Bake
- Pomegranate Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
Air Fryer Chicken Burgers with Sriracha Mayo
For the Chicken Cutlets:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup (40g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 egg whites , whisked until fluffy
- 2/3 cup (40g) panko breadcrumbs
For the Sriracha Mayo:
- 1 cup (230g) mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) Sriracha chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- salt , to taste
For the Coleslaw:
- 3 cups (about 300g) coleslaw mix (purple cabbage, green cabbage and carrots)
- ¼ (55g) cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- salt and black pepper , to taste
- 4 burger buns of your choice
The Chicken Cutlets.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts by cutting them horizontally in half all the way through. Trim them if necessary. (You can use the leftovers to make chicken nuggets in the same way.) Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
- Place the all-purpose flour into a shallow bowl. Add in the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper, and mix to combine.
- Dip the chicken breasts into the flour mixture, then dip in the beaten egg whites, then cover every cutlet with panko breadcrumbs. Spray coated chicken pieces with some olive oil spray and air fry them for 12 to 15 minutes at 360°F (180C). The cooking time depends on the thickness of your chicken.
The Sriracha Mayo.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Sriracha, lemon juice, garlic and salt until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Toss well to coat evenly.
Assembling the Burgers.
- Lightly toast the buns. Spread some Sriracha mayo on the bottom of a burger bun. Then place the chicken cutlet and cover with coleslaw. Place the bun on top to complete your burger. Continue this until you have made all the burgers.