These Sweet Potato Patties make a perfect healthy weeknight dinner. Sweet potatoes, tuna, quinoa, zucchini, chia, and spinach combined in one dish! Can it be healthier than this? They are also finger biting delicious and really easy to make!
Everyone has his favorite veggie. Mine is, without a shadow of a doubt, sweet potato. I already talked about my deep love and my first encounter with this orange-fleshed beauty in this post. In short: I tasted it for the first time in my life only a few years ago; it’s considered a gourmand veggie in my country so it’s expensive and rare. I don’t save money on sweet potatoes, though, because it’s something I crave desperately at least a few times a week. If you’ll see a gal holding a sign “will work for sweet potatoes”, that’s me!
My experiments with this sweet veggie led me to create these outstanding Sweet Potato Patties with tuna, quinoa, zucchini, chia, and other goodness! Even before trying to combine sweet potatoes and tuna in one patty, I already knew that it will be a success. Somehow it feels right, doesn’t it? Quinoa and zucchini made these patties even better!
These sweet potato patties are not only full of flavor but also super healthy. Seriously, it’s like the ultimate food for people watching their weight and hitting a gym. I’ll tell you why. Sweet potatoes contain complex carbs (more filling than simple carbs; give you a long-lasting energy boost), fiber, protein, and tons of vitamins; tuna is packed with protein; chia is, well everyone knows about its benefits; quinoa is once again complex carbs, protein, fiber! Phew. How is that for a combination?
There is nothing better than when healthy meets delicious. Oh, and it’s not even all the pros of these patties. They are also really easy and quick to make! Just roast sweet potatoes in advance and the rest will be done in 15 minutes. Perfect for a light but at the same time filling dinner or as an appetizer. Try these little guys and you will thank me later!
- ½ cup quinoa (3 oz. or 85g)
- 1 lb. (450g) zucchini
- ½ small onion, grated
- 2 x 6.5 oz (185g) cans tuna, drained
- 4 eggs
- 2 lb. (900g) sweet potatoes, roasted, mashed
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 handfuls spinach
- salt and pepper, to taste
- all-purpose flour, for thickening
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Meanwhile, grate the zucchini, place in a colander and sprinkle with some salt. Let drain for about 5-10 minutes. Squeeze out any excess liquid.
- Transfer the zucchini to a bowl together with the cooked quinoa, tuna, eggs, sweet potato, garlic, parsley, chia seeds, and spinach. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. If the mixture is too thin, add some flour. Roll into small patties.
- In a skillet, heat the vegetable oil and fry the patties for 2-4 minutes per side, until golden and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with some chopped chives on top. Enjoy!