If you are looking for a summer salad that is a little bit more filling, look no more. This Spinach Bacon Salad is perfect for a light lunch! Oh and the buttermilk blue cheese dressing is to die for!
Lately my house is filled with all kinds of greens. Spinach, arugula, lettuce, dill, parsley, chives, to name a few. In my country almost everyone has a garden and, as it usually happens, when the harvest time comes, people realize that they have an abundance of one or other veggie, and they need to give some away to avoid throwing it in the garbage. That’s when the fun starts.
The massive amounts of all these goodies begin flowing into my house like a river, ha! The neighbors, my mom, my hubby’s mom, my aunt, my mom’s friends (the list is endless actually) are all delivering one package after another to my doorstep. Don’t get me wrong, I am thankful for all this goodness, I really am. I just don’t know what to do with it sometimes! My freezer is already full, my hubby wants meat, because he is not considering greens as a food at all, so I am left to deal with all of this by myself!
What you gonna do? I am just going through tons of my cooking books looking for new salad, soup, dip (anything!) ideas. Some of these new creations turn out well, some of them are horrible. It depends on luck. Yesterday, luck was clearly on my side. I made this Spinach Bacon Salad with Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing and I loved every bit of it! I have never tried buttermilk dressing before, so I wasn’t sure that it’s a great idea at first. A few bites later, the fact that I had been wrong was clear as the sky. The dressing, as well as the salad, was fantastic!
This Spinach Bacon salad also features tomatoes and croutons (toasted bread), so it’s really filling. Perfect for a light summer lunch. That’s how I’ve solved the problem with the abundance of spinach in my house. I loved this salad so much that all the spinach I had is gone now, and I want more. Oops. Try this one and tell me if you loved it as much as I did!
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup bread cubes
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved, or 1 large tomato, cut into pieces
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Fry the bacon in a pan until it's crispy. Drain on paper towels. Let cool, crumble, and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan with paper towels and heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook the bread cubes, until lightly browned, for about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Now let's make the dressing. Whisk the yogurt, vinegar, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Add the buttermilk and whisk again. Add the blue cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, add the spinach, onion, and half of the bread cubes. Toss together. Pour half of the dressing and toss once again. Arrange the bacon, tomatoes, and the remaining bread cubes over the salad and drizzle with the remaining dressing. Enjoy!