These heavenly cupcakes are packed with chocolate flavor and frosted with mouth-watering lemon-mascarpone cheese frosting. Perfect with a cup of tea or coffee.
This morning I woke up with a sudden desire to BAKE something delicious… Something sweet…
Cupcakes… Chocolate cupcakes! I have to say chocolate cupcakes with lots of frosting are my favorite. It comes without surprise considering my love to chocolate. I love it everywhere (still dying over this white chocolate mousse). The more the better. Chocolate is one of the biggest weaknesses in my life and I admit it. [The scene from the chocolate addiction meetings]. Hi all, I am Jovita and I am addicted to chocolate.
I looked in the fridge and saw a box of mascarpone cheese. Why not? I have never made frosting for cupcakes with mascarpone cheese before. And all I can say is… yummy!! The cupcakes came out perfect and they tasted great. Heavenly sweet, fluffy, with an intense lemon-mascarpone cheese flavor… I’m addicted to them!
I made 12 cupcakes with this batter. The only downside of making these cupcakes is that my husband and I ended up eating half of them before the dinner…
But a few still left.
So do you want a cupcake now? I know I do.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon liqueur of your choice
- 250 g mascarpone cheese
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup (120 ml) whipping (35% fat) cream
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cupcake tray with paper liners.
- In a separate bowl, blend flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add melted butter, sour cream, vanilla extract, liqueur, and the egg to flour mixture and whisk together all ingredients until smooth.
- Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full with cupcake batter. Bake the cupcakes for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they're golden brown and cooked through. Cool the cupcakes completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the mascarpone cream cheese frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, whipping cream, and zest of lemon on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a decorative tip. All that's left to do now is frost the cupcakes and garnish with chocolate shavings or sliced almonds, if desired. Yummy!