A gorgeous, rich orange color and a tempting aroma… I have fallen in love with this roasted carrot soup!
I made this soup yesterday for dinner, and it was so good I decided to share it with you. Perfectly mild, a little spicy with a little kick of freshness.
Coconut milk and carrots have a complementary sweetness which is perfectly balanced with a tangy bite of lime juice. What could be better on a cold and wet day than a delicious bowl of warm, flavorful, healthy soup?
Yes. This soup is healthy, vegetarian and highly nutritious at the same time!
The secret of this soup is roasted carrots. The heat caramelizes the natural sugars in the carrots and brings out all sorts of amazing flavors that it is almost impossible not to eat them as they come out of the oven…
Another secret – red lentils (a good source of protein!). They bring a new flavor, appetizing color, create a thicker consistency and make the soup taste so much better.
I hope you enjoy it!
- 1 lb. (500g) carrots, peeled and cut into ½ inch thick slices
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 cup red lentils, washed
- 1 can (13½ oz) coconut milk
- ½ lime juice
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Toss carrots with 2 teaspoons coconut oil, salt, and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and tender.
- Put the lentils into a medium saucepan, cover them with cold water, bring to a boil, and simmer until tender. Spill the lentils out into the strainer.
- Heat the remaining coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat and place onion and curry powder in. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in roasted carrots, lentils, and coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until creamy.
- Add water to thin to desired consistency. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add lime juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.