Guess what? Today is a wonderful day to make your own chicken broccoli and CHEESE casserole. Chicken + noodles + broccoli + cheese = YUM!! Do you agree with me?
This casserole is a great way to use up any leftover chicken. Moreover, it is super easy to make. And, the best part, it is SO yummy!
Mmmmm… Shredded chicken, elbow noodles, broccoli and shredded mozzarella are tossed with a cheesy sauce… Anything with cheesy sauce is bound to be delicious and this casserole is no exception. It is a very filling dish and my family loves it. This simple recipe is great for kids of all ages thanks to the shredded chicken 😉 It’s so easy to eat and tastes so good!
By the way, this is a great dish to get your kids to eat broccoli! Broccoli and cheese is a magical combination at any meal and even the kids will like it!
If you want something easy, fast, flavorful and tasty, then this is the way to go. I love it and I know you will love it too! Enjoy!
- 8 oz. (227 g) uncooked elbow noodles
- 3 cups (215 g) fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fine cornmeal
- 1⅓ cups (320 ml) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk (I used 2,5%)
- 1⅓ cups (135 g) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 lb (450 g) chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- ½ cup (70 g) pitted black olives
- 1 cup (130 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt, to taste
- Cook elbow noodles in salted water until slightly undercooked by 2 minutes. Place broccoli florets in the same pot and let it cook for 2 minutes. Drain water from noodles and broccoli. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly spray a 9 x 12 casserole dish with cooking spray. In a big pan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the onion and garlic and cook over low heat until the onion is tender, stirring occasionally (about 2-3 min). Add the cornmeal and stir well, cooking an additional 2-3 minutes on medium-low heat. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth until well combined over medium heat, then add the milk and bring to a boil. Simmer on medium-low heat, mixing occasionally until the sauce thickens (about 5 min). Remove from heat and add 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese. Stir until melted. Taste the sauce to decide if it needs salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, noodles, broccoli, sliced olives, shredded mozzarella cheese and the sauce. Mix well until evenly coated. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and and top with ⅓ cup of grated Parmesan cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is thoroughly melted. Enjoy!