This super delicious and easy to make Blueberry Zucchini Bread can be made with fresh or frozen berries. Top it with the lemon glaze and you get the perfect dessert which tastes of summer!
Every single year the same thing happens to me. In the summer I freeze tons of berries, such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and others for the winter. When the season of these berries ends, and it’s no more possible to buy them, I start craving them so much! I know that they are sitting right here, in my freezer, and I think about them all the time. Sometimes I even see dreams where I’m taking these precious berries and mixing them with cereal and milk (my morning ritual). But. BUT. I am telling myself: “Hey, girl, don’t you think you have to wait for a little bit more? If you’ll stuff all of them in your face right now, what you’ll do a month, two months later? Don’t be stupid, think about the future!”. With this way of thinking I grit my teeth and wait.
I wait and wait. From time to time I reward myself with few cups of berries, and resume my waiting. Then, in a blink of an eye, spring comes. One month and market stalls will be filled with fresh colorful strawberries. One month later there will be plenty of right-from-the-bush blueberries, raspberries and more! And what about me? That’s right. I still have all those last-year berries in my freezer. In fact, it’s so packed I can open my very own jam business! Oh, well. This story repeats itself every single year and I can’t do anything about it. Sorry for such a long preface, I just wanted to share it with you.
As you have already understood, today I made something using frozen berries. Blueberries, to be exact. Guys and gals, meet the Blueberry Zucchini Bread. No surprise, considering my deep love for sweet breads! I don’t know exactly how, but the combination of zucchini and blueberries creates such a fantastic flavor. I made this one using frozen berries, but (of course) you can use the fresh ones. It is great both ways. This one is going to be my favorite summertime bread together with the Strawberry Rhubarb Bread!
This bread literally melts in your mouth. If you love banana bread, try this one. You may even love this one better! Your kids will fall in love with it too. My little boy is too young for it right now, but I can already picture myself making this delicious bread to him. Lemon glaze is like a cherry on top. It makes this already great bread even better. Once you make this blueberry zucchini bread once, you won’t be able to resist repeating it. Mark my words.
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup grated zucchini, drained
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- lemon zest (optional)
- The bread. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, eggs until smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract, yogurt, and lemon zest. Gradually add the flour mixture until combined.
- Using a spatula, fold in the grated zucchini and blueberries, stirring gently just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- The glaze. Mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice until combined. Pour the glaze over the bread.
- Sprinkle some zest over the top and enjoy!