I could not be happier to have you here!
My name is Jovita and I’m the 29 year old writer, food lover, kitchen mess maker, cook, baker, and self-taught photographer behind this blog.
I live in a small European country Lithuania with my wonderful husband Igor and our little baby boy Adam, who was born in October 2015. They are my biggest fans and main taste-testers. Unfortunately, our kiddo is not allowed certain things such as this soy sauce packed chicken or this cheesy spaghetti yet but if you are over 2 years old I recommend to try these divine recipes!
The most important thing, though, is their support and love. My family means the world to me and I wouldn’t be where I am today without these two. One look at my baby’s smile every morning fuels me with energy for the day!
Oh, and my hubby, he does way more than just watching me growing the blog from the side. Besides helping me with recipe ideas, holding a spoon while I’m trying to get a perfect shot, waiting patiently for food until I finish taking photos (common food blogger things), he also handles the technical side of the blog which I am VERY thankful for.
The story behind the blog
Cooking and baking have always been my passion. First, I was spending time in a kitchen with my mom, then, after the university, I cooked for my future husband and I freaking loved it. It has always been the best way of relaxation for me.
Igor has been working online ever since I met him. Seeing him working on various projects, I always envied his passion and drive. His job was and still is like a hobby he is always (well, almost) happy to get back to. My corporate job, on the other hand, was super boring. I also had no separate-from-my-hubby hobbies (except cooking). We were doing all things together (watching movies, going somewhere) so when he was busy in the evenings I had literally nothing to do.
My hubby, being a caring person, tried to come up with something I could fill those alone time gaps with. One late October evening in 2013 he asked me: “Why wouldn’t you start a cooking blog? I can help you to set up a website and everything”. Needless to say, I immediately loved this idea and didn’t look back from there.
4 years later I was able to quit my corporate job to work on Yummy Addiction full time. It’s amazing how one decision can change your whole life!
Taking a step back
In 2015, I was forced to take a break from the blog due to the pregnancy. First two semesters were fine (except vomiting and being super sensitive to the smell of different foods) but the last semester brought a horrible fatigue so it was impossible to keep up with all the cooking, taking photos, and writing blog posts.
After I gave birth to Adam, I realized that having some rest before was a great decision, ha ha! The first few months were crazy. Our baby boy kept me and my hubby occupied all the time. Sleepless nights, getting on a breastfeeding schedule, reading tons of information on newborn care (I did my homework beforehand but new questions kept arising), and a myriad of other things. We are thankful for this unique experience, though, because having a baby is the best thing that ever happened to us!
Fast forward to 2017
2017 has been the year of pleasant changes for our family and the blog so far.
- I was able to quit my corporate job. Yay! Yummy Addiction is now my full-time dream job. Technically, I am still on my maternity leave but I already informed my boss that I am not coming back. Yes, it’s not a mistake, the paid parental leave is 2 years in Lithuania! For my American readers: I can’t believe that your country has no federally mandated policy for new parents. That’s super strange.
- With the help from my hubby, I finally jumped on a food video bandwagon. You can check the video gallery here.
- In the beginning of the year, we got that crazy idea to go for a lengthy vacation with our 1.5 year old son (not a vacay actually, more like a change of place) somewhere in the world and we did it! We are now in Tenerife and plan to go to Thailand or another Asian country shortly after (keeping my fingers crossed for that to happen).
A few more things you need to know about me
- I have no formal culinary training. I believe that cooking should be fun and you don’t have to worry about the failures – I had tons of it myself.
- English is not my native language. Sorry for mistakes if you will find any.
- I LOVE TV series. My favorites are Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Fargo, and a bunch of others.
- I can’t live without all kinds of sweet pastries but I try my best to limit them.
- My favorite meal is pasta. There is an ongoing debate going on between me and my hubby whether to make it with red or white sauce (white is tastier, obviously).
What will I find on this blog?
Everything! To put it simply, Yummy Addiction is a place for comforting family recipes with a healthier twist. It doesn’t mean eating only veggies and fruit and forgetting about butter, cream cheese, and other delicious things. You will find plenty of creamy pasta recipes and desserts here!
My philosophy is: as long as you eat healthier the majority of the time, occasional treats won’t do damage.
If you started a day with a cup of coffee with some instant oatmeal cookies, had muffin tin omelets for lunch, and finished the day off with the Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry, you absolutely deserve a few Chocolate Salami slices! It’s all about the balance!
I hope you enjoy what you see. If you test out a recipe, feel free to leave me a comment. I’d love to connect and keep in touch with you!